The Auris was released on February 1 2007 in the UK and the Turkey plant. It replaces the Toyota Corolla hatchback. With a fresh design and upmarket features including an MP3/WMA player, Toyota aims to position the Auris at the higher end of the lower-medium segment to lure buyers from competing cars, such as Volkswagen Golf and the Alfa Romeo 147. Trim levels are T2, T3, and T Spirit. The higher end T180 model went on sale in the UK during April 2007.
The European edition features the following engines:
- 4ZZ-FE — 1.33 VVT-i with 6 speed manual transmission & stop start technology.
- 1ZR-FE — 1.6 Dual VVT-i with 5 speed manual or MultiMode transmission.
- 1ND-TV — 1.4 D-4D with 5 speed manual or MultiMode transmission.
- 1AD-FTV — 2.0 D-4D with 6 speed manual transmission.
- 2AD-FHV — 2.2 D-4D with 6 speed manual transmission.
MultiMode transmission is an automated clutch system.
On 26 February 2007, Toyota announced an investment of GBP100million in its Deeside engine factory to build a petrol engine for the Auris.
- MM: MultiMode transmission.
The JDM Auris is offered either with 1.5 liter 1NZ-FE, or 1.8 liter 2ZR-FE engine. Trim levels are 150X and 180G. Drivetrain is FF or 4WD. The only transmission for all models is Super CVT-i.
The upscale sister of Auris is called Toyota Blade. It replaces the Toyota Allex, which, in turn, was the replacement for the Toyota Sprinter. It has different front and rear sheetmetal, and is powered by Toyota's 2.4 liter 2AZ-FE engine. Recently Toyota released the Blade Master and Blade Master G, an upgraded trim of the Blade which features Toyota's 280 PS 3.5L 2GR-FE V6 engine, larger brakes, and an upgraded suspension.
- Length: 4220mm (166.1in)
- Width: 1760mm (69.3in) (wing mirrors folded)
- Height: 1515mm (59.6in)
- Luggage capacity: 354/761 litres (to window line, seats up/down)
- Kerb weight: 1250kg (2756lb) (1.4 petrol) to 1450kg (3197lb) (2.2 D-4D)
- Braked Towing Limit: 1000kg (2205lb) (1.4 petrol, 1.4 D-4D); 1200kg (2646lb) (1.6 petrol); 1500kg (3307lb) (2.0 and 2.2 D-4D)
- Turning circle: 5.2metres (17.1ft)