A variant of the CJ is still in production today under license. The last CJs, the CJ-7 and CJ-8, were replaced in 1987 by the reworked Jeep Wrangler.
Although it bore the CJ name, the CJ-2 was not really available at retail. The CJ-2s were merely prototypes used for testing purposes. Willys produced slightly more than three dozen CJ-2 Agrijeeps in 1944 and 1945, forty in all . It was directly based on the military Willys MB, using the same Willys Go Devil engine, but stripped of all military features, particularly the blackout lighting. Apart from having a side-mounted spare tire and an external fuel cap, the CJ-2 was the first jeep to feature a tailgate. Eleven CJ-2s are known to have survived to this day .
Lessons learned with the CJ-2 led to the development of the first full-production CJ, the 1945-1949 CJ-2A. Like the CJ-2 and the military MB, the CJ-2A featured a split windshield. An early column shifter, which was introduced because it was thought that troops returning from WWII needed a change in the Jeep, and full floating rear axle gave way to the more familiar floor shifter and semi-floating rear axle. For CJ-2A production, the T-84 transmission was replaced with the beefier T-90 three speed transmission. It is of interest to note that many of the early CJ-2As were produced using surplus military Jeep parts such as engine blocks and, in a few cases, modified frames. Since the CJ-2A was intended to be used as a agricultural vehicle, it was geared lower than its military counterpart, and could be purchased with a variety of options such as a rear PTO and front counterweight. A total of 214,202 CJ-2A Jeeps were produced.