Competitors to the E-Class include the BMW 5 Series, Lexus GS, Volvo S80, Cadillac CTS, and the Audi A6.
The 400E and 500E went into production on August 6, 1991, as 1992 models.
The 1994 E500 production ended on June 24, 1994.
Production of the 1995 E-Class W124 ended on May 23, 1995.
Production of the 1996 E-Class began on July 17, 1995.
Production of the 2002 E-Class ended on February 20, 2002.
Production of the 2003 E-Class began on May 13, 2002.
Through time the E-Class has been built in:
- RWD: Sindelfingen, Germany
- 1986-1995 Wagons: Bremen & Sindelfingen, Germany
- 500E/E500/E55 AMG: Zuffenhausen, Germany & Stuttgart, Germany
- 1993-????, 2005-present: Thailand (by Thonburi Automotive Assembly Plant Co., Ltd.)
- 1995-present: Pune, India (for the Indian market) Joint-venture signed in 1994 with TELCO, India for manufacture of Mercedes Cars in India. First Indian made E220 bowed in 1995.
- 1996: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- 1998-present 4MATIC: Graz, Austria (by Magna Steyr)
- 2006-present: Pekan, Malaysia (by Malaysia Truck and Bus Sdn Bhd (MTB) of DRB-HICOM)
- 2006-present: Iran (by Top Khodro, a joint venture with Iran Khodro Diesel, for the Iranian market)
- 2006-present: Beijing, China (by Beijing-Benz DaimlerChrysler Automotive for the Chinese market)