id:1106834

1984 Moscvich 2137



1984 Moscvich 2137
Photo Information (Width: 340px, Height: 255px, Size: 11Kb)

More photos of Moscvich 2137

Engine size - Displacement - Engine capacity:1500 cm3
Transmission Gearbox - Number of speeds:Manual
Fuel Type:Gasoline
Drive wheels - Traction - Drivetrain:FR or RR
Price (out of date):$30000


1984 Moscvich 2137 specs, Engine size 1.5l., Fuel type Gasoline, Drive wheels FR or RR, Transmission Gearbox Manual

For other uses see: Moskvitch (disambiguation)

Moskvitch (Russian: Москвич) (sometimes also mentioned as Moskvich or Moskwitch, which means Muscovite) was an automobile brand from Russia.

In 1929 the construction of Moscow Automotive Plant began with initial production of 24,000 vehicles. In 1941 the plant was evacuated to Ural and the entire production converted for the manufacture of the military equipment at the dawn of World War II. After the war, the Soviet Union brought an entire Opel manufacturing line from Brandenburg in Germany. A factory called MZMA (Moskovsky Zavod Malolitrazhnykh Avtomobiley, that is, Moscow Compact Car Factory) started in 1947 to manufacture an automobile called Moskvitch 400 based on the Opel Kadett. Further models were developed by Soviet engineers. In 1969, the factory changed name to AZLK (Avtomobilny Zavod imeni Leninskogo Komsomola, which means Youth Communist League Car Factory).


Moskvitch cars were never meant to be a fashion statement[citation needed]. They were sturdy, reliable on substandard roads and were offered at an affordable price. The 1960s and early 1970s were the glory days, when the cars were exported to many countries throughout the world. Demand always exceeded production, so people had to wait a long time for a new car. Until the 1980s all Moskvitch cars were compact rear-wheel drive saloons and estates with solid rear axles suspended by leaf springs.

The Moskvitch was also produced in Bulgaria (see Moskvitch (Bulgaria)) between 1966 and 1990 on the basis of complete knock down (CKD) kits.

In 1986 AZLK unveiled its new model, Aleko-141. The only part carried over from previous models was the engine. This front-wheel drive hatchback was different from any model the factory had made before. It was larger and upmarket, made with comfort, safety and aerodynamics in mind. The body was partly borrowed from Simca 1307, while longitudinal engine placement and torsion-crank rear suspension was inspired by Audi 80/ 100 cars. The car was an improvement over the previous generation, but the fall of the centralised economy, below-par quality and inadequate management ultimately brought the factory to bankruptcy[citation needed].



 » Read More About Moscvich