Home  

Go Back   Car Forums > VOLKSWAGEN
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2007, 01:00 PM
news

Arrow 2007 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Road Test

2007 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Road Test

From the front, the only thing distinguishing it from a GTI is the ???GLI???badge on the grille. Begin to walk around the car and you'll quickly see that this VW is not all what it appears. It's a little longer, it has four doors, and a trunk. It is a VW Jetta GLI, which in all tense and purposes is a GTI with the added ease of two extra doors and a trunk hanging off the back. Under the skin of the GLI lies the soul of the GTI, only with a little extra discretion and maturity. A sleeper you could say.

Although the Jetta's new look is a couple of years old now, I find that it makes the car look a little pudgy; fat almost. Gone are the days when VW's smallest sedan was nearly as boxy as a Volvo. Today the Jetta portrays a modern, much more rounded and sleek silhouette. The front end of the car has a lot more going on than the last generation. It is a little more exciting to look at and even appears as though it might be a bit ticked off . Like the GTI, the GLI has a black bridge that connects the upper and lower grilles, surrounded with the distinctive red border that is found on all GTI grilles, instead of that large chrome smile that shines back from a base Jetta. Those who have read my reviews will know that I'm not one to encourage heavy doses of chrome, and therefore I find the black mouth on the front of the GLI looks great and works well to break up the large bumper. Even the window trim is now black, while the only chrome I can find is the VW logo and Jetta GLI badging.

All the extra chub hampers visibility from the drivers' seat, however.Vision out of the side and rear windows is sacrificed due to the high trunk and seat backs, not to mention a well-filled interior. Checking blind spots requires a little more concentration than in other cars. The interior looks the business however, with a classy design using quality materials. The all-black cabin is accented with the historically significant GTI plaid design on the seats. Some may find it a little tacky, but to a GTI enthusiast it will come as a welcome surprise, as this car pays homage to the original A1 GTI that also featured plaid cloth seats. VW has also used brushed aluminum trim to break up the black interior, which, thanks to being used conservatively works quite well and gives the interior a classy ambiance above its competition. They've even used real aluminum. It's refreshing, as so many companies like to paint plastic trim with fake carbon fiber, chrome, wood or metal.

The speedometer is visually pleasing to look at, as long as it'snot while driving. Drivers may find themselves squinting at the gauge, as it resembles a metric/standard ruler curved into a horseshoe. Trying to read the mass of tiny numbers and measurement lines squeezed into a small space may take a little getting used to. I found my concentration would leave the road to make sure I was not in danger of a speeding ticket. To the left is the easier to read tachometer with numbers equally as small, although a little more spread out. The gear position readout is also excessively small, and while in traffic I found myself lost in the gear count. The fuel and engine temperature gauges are even smaller, but these are not used as often as the other vitals. With all the important gauges difficult to decipher, I find it quite ironic that the largest and easiest to read gauges are the outside air temperature, time and compass readouts in the information interface located between the speedo and tach. It all looks great, but as far as functionality goes, the VW designers need to head back to the drawing board. For a car that is angled towards performance and driving fun, a driver needs to know what the car is doing with only quick glances while trying to keep an eye on the road.

The seating position in the GLI, however, is magnificent. The seat can belowered down more than any car I've tested other than a Porsche, something I like very much. They grip the body like race seats thanks to huge hip and shoulder supports. The steering wheel is adjustable for rake and it also telescopes, completing the perfect seating position. The wheel has a good feel to it too, and even features a flattened lower ring that gives it a Formula One-style appearance, while being subtle enough not to impede the drivers' ability to work it in turns. Feel of the road is good and steering response is excellent, with nearly no play in the wheel whatsoever.

Powered by VW's turbocharged and direct-injected 200-hp 2.0-liter inline-4, the GLI has extremely good acceleration, reaching 60 mph in just under 7 seconds. The turbo eases itself on gently, rather than turning on like a light switch. This means there is very little torque steer and power is put to the ground in a civilized manner rather than leaving two black lines painted down the street. The Jetta offers performance that once could only be found in sports cars, now available in a daily commuter. It also makes driving the car hard an addictive experience, although the turbo can suck an amazing amount of fuel for a 2.0L when the engine is revved high into the six thousand rpm range. Owners beware, you will likely become well known to the local law enforcement. Just the same, the engine is only 50-percent of what makes the car so fun to drive, as a major factor in the performance is its gearbox.

The 6-speed automatic DSG gearbox is so good, I almost enjoyed using thepaddle-shifters on the steering wheel as much as I would have liked having a manual. Nothing will make up for a good manual shift, although because the DSG enjoys shorter shift intervals (although I'd be willing to challenge the computer to a duel) and the DSG system will make the driver feel as though they're driving in a video game, only on a real street. While I personally prefer the manual, the DSG system adds a level of technology, and I can't help admit, fun, that no other car in its class can match. It's a fun car to drive, although to make the experience a little bit better the electronic driver aids, in this case the ESP, need to be turned off.

ESP feels less invasive in the GLI than with other VWs, although the power going to the front wheels overwhelms the system well beyond its abilities. Nevertheless, like all VWs when the ESP button is turned off, it's never really off and therefore always lurking in the background. It's a system that works extremely well to keep Joe average from balling up his car while trying to impress a cute girl, however, while it rewards poor driving skills it punishes those who can truly make a front-wheel drive car dance. Drivers who want to drive a car without the aid of electronics may find the Jetta a bit frustrating.

The ride in the GLI is a stiff one, with dampers tuned for performance driving.On bumpy streets it can be a little harsh, but on smooth tarmac the GLI becomes quick and accurate. With the ESP system on, turn-in is not as crisp as it should be at speed. With the system off the car becomes a little more tossable , as it enjoys being thrown around corners, holding flat and true. Of course even the best suspension is nothing without good tires, and the GLI has a capable set of Continental ContiProContact tires hugging the 17-inch wheels. Coupled together with the impressive suspension, the GLI is as agile as it is fast, creating a tremendous amount of grip.

Regardless of my dislike of the ESP system, the Jetta GLI is a truly rewarding drive. It won me over despite my preconceptions for automatic shifters too, and I came to enjoy this car for what it is. In fact, it might just be the only car I've driven that is a blast to drive without a clutch. Nothing will replace the absolute control of a manual with clutch, but the DSG system comes as close as possible by creating an exciting driving atmosphere in even the dullest of driving situations. The GLI offers the sporty nature and soul of the GTI, with the versatility of a four door and the discretion of a sedan. It's a great, albeit cheeky combination.

Source: [url=http://car-reviews.automobile.com/Volkswagen/review/2007-volkswagen-jetta-gli-road-test/2797/]Automobile.com[/url]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!