Home  

Go Back   Car Forums > TOYOTA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2007, 01:00 PM
news

Arrow Toyota Tundra - Civilized Brute Force

If the third time's the charm, Toyota's new Tundra full sized pickup is definitely a charming vehicle. If you think big trucks are charming.

I'm not a truck guy, except for the occasional time I need to haul something (I prefer hauling butt in a fast car), but if I had to buy a big pickup, it just might be this new Tundra - though I thought the last generation was a pretty skookum truck as well. But the marketplace and punditry decided otherwise, that the last Tundra still wasn't enough for Toyota to play with the big boys in the full sized truck market.

And that was the company's second kick at the can. Their first "big truck", the T100, was met generally with yawns.

This "third time's the charm" model may have been Toyota's last chance to earn credibility in the last automotive market niche where North American (the so-called "Big Three") products still rule.

Have they done it? Not being a truck guy, I'd rather punt that to the real truck guys, but it sure seems as if this is the real thing.

I got to try two models from Tundra's vast selection of configurations, the Double Cab Limited and the CrewMax SR5. Both came with the big 5.7 liter V8 and four wheel drive capability, but had different trim levels. I preferred the Double Cab Limited, but only because it stroked me with creature comforts, not because I thought it would do a better or more heavy duty job.

Either version (and probably the rest of the Tundra stable as well) is a fine vehicle that, in 4x4 livery like my testers', would probably climb Mount Everest during the day and take you to the opera in reasonable style in the evening (though some of the other patrons may look down their noses at you for showing up in a pickup truck - but to heck with them!).

The heart of the Tundra is its IForce 5.7 liter V8 (a 4.7 liter V8 is also available on most models), that cranks out 381 horsepower @ 5,600 rpm and 401 lb. ft. of torque @ 3,600 rpm. This high tech engine moves the big and heavy Tundra forward effortlessly - step on the gas and the power is there instantly.

The 5.7 is mated to a six speed automatic transmission with overdrive, lock up torque converter, transmission cooler, and automatic transmission fluid warmer. Shifts are very smooth and crisp, and my testers had a pretend manual mode that seemed superfluous but which worked well.

The smaller engine has to go through life with a five speed automatic.

Tundra's suspension is a double wishbone-type up front, with gas shock absorbers, coil springs and a stabilizer bar. The rear is reined in by heavy duty multi leaf springs, with bias mounted gas shock absorbers. Those front specs sound like sports car stuff and, while the laws of physics (especially inertia) indicate this is no sports car, the handling is surprising spry for a vehicle you could probably camp out in if push came to shove.

Oh, you never forget you're in a big pickup truck, not only from the high seating position but from the truck like feel to the driving experience. But that said, I've been bounced around and jarred a lot more in other pickups, even some smaller ones.

Brakes are ventilated discs all around , with ABS, Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD), and Brake Assist (BA). Pedal feel is perfect, and the stopping power is awesome.

Source: [url=http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21288496.shtml]Post Chronicle[/url]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!