Home  

Go Back   Car Forums > NISSAN
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 05:34 PM

laurentino is on a distinguished road
Default Nissan Laurel Transmission & gear ratio

Hello all there. I am a new member who knows little about the past forums.
Would appreciate a lot if somebody can help me identify my transmission and the drive ratio or gear ratios of the Nissan Laurel 1996, RD28 diesel engine, automatic transmission w/5 gears.

Besides identify it, I need to learn about the final gear ratio too.

Any information that may help is very welcome.

I have some information about the subject which I may share with others.

How many Laurel diesel AT owners are out there? Who knows, but if you are one of them, please let me know what you have.

Thank you much.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:58 PM

Default AT of Nissan Laurel Medalist Diesel 1996

Hello all,

I think I got the name of the Automatic Transmission (AT) of the Nissan Laurel Medalist 1996 diesel. It is a Jatco RL4R01A. It is a smooth and reliable transmission as it is the RD28 engine too.

Some cars may have come with another AT called RE4R01A also. It is an electronic transmission, while mine, RL4R01A is a completeley hydraulic-mechanic one.

The Jatco RL4R01A AT has three gears, plus overdrive. Besides, at certain speed the AT locks, what in my case is at 92 km/h approx.

So, the user feels the AT as of a five gears transmission.

It has the kickdown function, so if you press the throttle pedal deep, it engages the lower gear.

It also has a position as to force the engagement of second gear and to limit to that gear. This way you can go down a hill using the engine to control speed, aleviating the brakes.

I still lack a secure knowledge of the final ratio (of the differential) that the Laurel Medalist used. Somewhere I found a site specifying a 4.09 final ratio for a diesel Skyline 1996, but I am not sure it is the same for the Laurel.

At present I am using a 3.46 final ratio in my car, but it is still too long (the car runs better in the road but spends too much in the city and slopes), I wish I have a shorter final ratio, such as 3.9 or such.

The RD28 engine from 1996 on came with 18 valves, (2 exhaust valves I think) which improves power from previous 92 HP to 98.6 HP.

This engine has been used in many cars even in Swedish Electric Generation Plants (Stationary) with success.

Good driving and my best wishes for 2010.

Laurentino

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurentino View Post
Would appreciate a lot if somebody can help me identify my transmission and the drive ratio or gear ratios of the Nissan Laurel 1996, RD28 diesel engine, automatic transmission w/5 gears.

How many Laurel diesel AT owners are out there? Who knows, but if you are one of them, please let me know what you have.

Thank you much.

Last edited by laurentino; 12-29-2009 at 04:08 PM. Reason: improvement
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:51 PM

Default Nissan Laurel diff Final Ratio

According to my last findings, final ratio of Nissan Laurel was probably 4.08:1.

See this link: http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=337751

There are other ratios, but I am almost sure I read somewhere else it was 4.08 for Laurel Diesel C34, 7th generation, 1993 to 1997.

Laurentino

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurentino View Post

Thank you much.