Home  

Go Back   Car Forums > MERCEDES

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2007, 01:00 PM
news

Arrow Mercedes' Classy C

Mercedes' Classy C

Mercedes-Benz did a nice job of redesigning its entry-level C-Class sedans for the '08 model year. I can only find one major problem with the new cars: They don't match up to the BMW 3 Series coupes and sedans , which got a major redesign last year and are among the finest cars I've ever driven.

Don't get me wrong. Daimler's '08 Mercedes C300 and C350 are marvelous little sedans. But even the Mercedes C350 Sport, the hottest of the new C-Class models, doesn't give you that involuntary shudder of excitement you get when you put the BMW 335i through its paces. It doesn't even quite match the less expensive BMW 328i.

Then again, many buyers won't bother to comparison-shop an entry-level Mercedes with an entry-level BMW because they're now very different cars. As of the '07 model year, BMW dramatically increased the performance of its mainstream modelsso much so that the BMW 335i temporarily eclipsed the high performance M versions of the 3-Series. With Mercedes, the mainstream C300 and C350 aren't quite so fast and sporty. You have to pay a lot more for the powerful C63 AMG to beat the blinding speed of a BMW 335i.

That said, the '08 C300 and C350 are 3.5 inches longer and 1.7 inches wider than the previous C-Class sedans, making them noticeably roomier inside. The exterior styling is also more rakish and better-looking.

The new C-Class comes in three trim levels. There are two versions of the C300, which has a 228-horsepower, 3.0-liter, V6 engine: the Sport starting at $31,975 (add $3,240 for the 4Matic all-wheel drive system) and the Comfort starting at $33,675 (add $1,800 for all-wheel drive). The rear-wheel-drive-only C350 Sport, the version of the car I test-drove, has a more powerful 268-horsepower, 3.5-liter V6 and starts at $37,275.

The Sport models come with special shocks, springs, and stabilizer bars that provide a crisper ride. They also have some of the styling of the AMG performance models, such as 17-inch spoked alloy wheels and the characteristic Mercedes "star" (usually only found on coupes and convertibles) on the front grille. The Comfort version of the car has a conventional four-spoked steering wheel and burl walnut interior trim; the Sport models have a sport steering wheel and either aluminum (in the C300) or dark maple (in the C350) trim.

The most expensive option is the Multimedia package, which includes a navigation system and a 6-CD-player sound system with a 30-gigabyte hard drive. You can even download movies and videos and replay them on the little navigation system screen (though not while driving). A $1,350 Premium II package includes 60/40 fold-down rear seats and intelligent fog lights and Xenon headlamps that light the way around curves and corners.

Other options include leather upholstery ("leatherette" is standard) for $1,550, 18-inch AMG-style alloy wheels for $1,000, metallic paint for $710, and a TeleAide emergency assistance system with a one-year subscription for $650.

Under the government's new, more realistic mileage calculations, the C300 is rated to get 18 miles per gallon in the city and 26 on the highway, the C350 Sport 17 and 25. In 313 miles of mixed driving, I got 22.1 in a C350. That's about midway between the two BMWs: I got 25.6 in a BMW 328i Coupe, and 20.8 in a 335i Coupe.

The new C-Class only hit U.S. dealerships in August, so it's too early to know how well it will sell. But Mercedes' overall U.S. sales are holding up well in a tough year, and the C-Class has been one of the company's best performers: Combined C-Class sales were up 11.2%, to 36,184, through the end of August.

Source: [url=http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/sep2007/bw20070921_433173.htm?autos+product+review]BusinessWeek[/url]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!