Home  

Go Back   Car Forums > MERCEDES

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 01:00 PM
news

Arrow The Verdict: Mercedes-Benz C-class

Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG

This week's test car is a Merc, too, but one that's a lot better adapted to British conditions. The C200 Kompressor costs less than half as much as the GL but, unlike that car, it can be reversed into a standard Tesco or Sainsbury's parking space without drama ??“ and also without the rear-facing TV camera that is an essential piece of equipment for performing this manoeuvre in the GL.

And yet the C is a proper Mercedes. What do I mean by that? Well, it looks like a proper Merc, for a start. Mercedes' designers lost their way around the turn of the century as the company extended its range into new areas where it had not previously been active ??“ small cars with the A-Class, people carriers with the Vito, for example ??“ and also started to bend a bit more in response to the winds of fashion. With the latest C, though, Mercedes has come up with a shape that is thoroughly modern but recaptures something of the chunky, square-jawed look that inspired such confidence in the manufacturer's older cars.

With its rear-wheel-drive layout and features such as a foot-operated parking brake, the C-Class is also the least expensive car in Mercedes' current range that still carries the main elements of the marque's traditional character.

On the road, the C is excellent. In the past, Mercs fitted with four-cylinder petrol engines were very much the poor relations of the range but the latest (supercharged) Kompressor power units are great ??“ eager to rev but providing enough torque to support diesel-style long gearing that keeps noise levels low for motorway cruising. This car, with its light, sharp and accurate steering, is highly agile, too.

I'd say that the interior of this C-Class is superior to some of Mercedes' recent efforts but still not up the best standards the company has set in the past. Our test car was notable for its impressive Artico upholstery, which is standard on the Elegance; this is described as a man-made leather substitute and it's far more convincing than you would ever imagine without seeing and touching it for yourself.

The new C-Class is by any standards a good, perhaps even very good, car. But the most heartening thing is the evidence it provides that the old Mercedes DNA ??“ at least in styling terms ??“ is reasserting itself.

I liked the Mercedes but it didn't bowl me over. The styling is compact and the rear lights swoosh into the slightly podgy body before coming to a point at the blunt front. Inside, the trim is a bit plasticy and there was no life-improving gadgetry. The drive is smooth, feeling as at ease in city traffic as it does stretching ahead on the motorway. Travelling at 75 mph felt pedestrian and a touch on the accelerator followed by a second of lag soon revealed how much more power remained. This car would probably blow most things away when driving in the upper echelons of motorway cruise speed. It was solid, quick, spacious and responsive but anonymous.

Ken Mellis, 30, Facilities property manager, Preston

Usual cars: BMW 3 Series M Sport Coupe, BMW 118d M Sport

Having owned a Mercedes and been disappointed with its overall quality, I was interested to see if progress had been made. The subtle looks of the new C-Class remind me of a miniature S-Class. The interior is pleasant, and the ride was good but could have been stiffer on the country lanes; I found it hard to gain a perfect driving position. The boot is a decent size and shape, but split-folding rear seats are an extra. It is an improvement on the previous model, but I am not sure it will tempt many would-be buyers from the other premium brands on offer in this sector.

Michael Freestone, 60, Sales manager, Wimboldsley, Cheshire

Usual cars: BMW 330D, Audi A4 Avant

I prefer BMWs, so I was rather sceptical about the new C-Class model. It looks and feels like a Benz should and will appeal to budding company executives, as it offers a touch of class to the compact executive market-place. The interior was roomy and offers a comfortable driving position with a plain but functional instrument panel layout. I liked the faux leather finish on the seats and interior trim. The ride was quiet and the handling smooth, although you had to work the four-cylinder, 154bhp Kompressor engine via the automatic transmission to enjoy some performance driving. Overall my verdict was positive, but I am not going to give up my BMW just yet!

Source: [url=http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/motoring/the-verdict-mercedesbenz-cclass-1039058.html]Irish Independent[/url]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!