Home  

Go Back   Car Forums > HONDA
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 01:00 PM
news

Arrow Honda keeps faith in drivers

Honda F1 retain Button and Barrichello for 2008

Struggling Formula 1 team Honda said on Thursday that Rubens Barrichello and Jenson Button will both keep their race seats for next season.

So far, 2007 has been a dismal year for the Japanese team.

In nine races, they have earned just a single world championship point, three less than their customer team Super Aguri have amassed using significantly fewer resources.

But it appears that the team accepts that the poor performances are due to problems with the car rather than with the drivers.

Englishman Button has been with Honda since 2003 while Barrichello of Brazil arrived from Ferrari in 2006.

Barrichello's contract has now been extended until the end of next season allowing him to continue his partnership with Button who signed a long-term deal last year.

The pair enjoy a good working relationship and both welcomed the team's decision to opt for continuity rather than change.

"I'm delighted to confirm that I am staying with Honda for 2008," said 35-year-old Barrichello, who has won nine Grands Prix in his career.

"When I came here in 2006, it was always my intention to develop a long-term relationship and help build a strong team together. 2007 has been tough so far but I believe we are heading in the right direction again.

"Jenson and I have a great relationship together as team-mates and stability will be key as we look forward to the challenge of 2008. For now though, we have eight races remaining and that is where our focus lies."

Button was keen to reiterate the message that the current season has not yet been written off, but clearly he too has his sights set on a Honda resurgence in 2008.

"Although we are still very firmly focused on the current season, I am excited about the opportunity that we have for 2008," said Button.

The new driver contracts come just two days after former Indianapolis 500 winner Gil de Ferran quit as sporting director.

De Ferran arrived at the team in 2005 and oversaw a turnaround in its fortunes when Button grabbed third place finishes in Germany and Belgium.

The Japanese outfit also took sixth place in the constructors championship before Button went on to celebrate his first and only Grand Prix win in Hungary in 2006.

Source: [url=http://motoring.iafrica.com/formulaone/249652.htm]iAfrica.com[/url]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!