Home  

Go Back   Car Forums > DODGE
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2007, 02:00 PM
news

Arrow Ray Evernham Teleconference Transcript Car of Tomorrow Test

RAY EVERNHAM (President, CEO Evernham Motorsports)

WHAT WERE THE MAJOR OBJECTIVES OF THE EVERNHAM MOTORSPORTS TEAMS COMING INTO THE BRISTOL AVENGER TEST? Just to learn about the car getting ready for the race at Bristol and learn where we stack up against the other teams, what your cars look like compared to their cars and make sure we had no issues with the front suspension geometry because it is different or ground clearance because that is dictated to you now. Just understanding how the car would work being built limited suspension travel versus what were used to running and then having a good luck at the NASCAR inspection process.

HOW DID THE TEAMS PERFORM YESTERDAY? Kasey called me first thing this morning and I spoke to Dr. Eric Warren a few times yesterday. They were pretty happy with the 9 car. The 10 and 19 searched around trying different things. When we take three cars testing we go in three different directions. Those cars came back to a little bit closer on what we had decided on. I guess they got better in the afternoon. Elliott and Scott became happier with their cars. At a test its not really about how fast you can go all the time as much as it is proving out things. Each team goes there with a different list of information they have to gather to come back with.

DOES IT MATTER IF A CREW CHIEF OR TEAM DIRECTOR GETS SUSPENDED? I think the technology and the strength of the driver has something to do with it and the depth of the team. I think certain teams can overcome it and other teams struggle a little bit with it. Our No. 9 team seemed to overcome it, had a little bit more depth, and we struggled a little bit with the 10 and 19. Again, that takes a little more time. I think it really depends on the depth of the team. With our organization it seems to have gone both ways with us. They got Kasey happy with his car on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and we couldnt get Scott or Elliott happy with theirs. Ill take responsibility for that because I was working on the 19 car. Again, I think its up to the team. When you take a key player out of a team in any sport its got to affect it somewhat.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE THE COT PHASED IN COMPLETELY IN 2008? It really depends on what happens in the 16 races this year, but if we dont have a lot of problems then certainly because its very expensive and very time consuming to try to do two programs at the same time. If everything goes well this year, well have chances to be on the short tracks and road courses and superspeedways. If we get through all those and there are no major issues I think it would be probably the best thing to switch over completely.

WHAT HAS BEEN THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH THE COT INSPECTION? The inspection process because the tolerances are all held so tightly and the fact that they have about 14 templates that we cant even have access to, and I think its like anything else. The first time youve got to go through it to get it figured out. Everybody was waiting to see what was going to happen and by the end of the day the guys were saying it pretty much drives like my other car, tight in the middle and loose in. Thats Bristol. I think the inspection process is the same way. Its new and its going to take time for NASCAR to get its system worked out. When you build something for the first time and send it through, even though you think youve got areas that are right, everybody does things a little differently. I think itll go faster and faster as time goes on. In theory everything theyre doing should be better. Its just going to take some time to get it right.

WHAT WILL BE THE NEXT STEP FOR THE AVENGER? Obviously were going to keep doing some testing. Well have to wait for the guys to get back and go over all the post-test data. Thats the big thing. You gather some data that it takes so much time to go through it. Well look at the top priorities and what the guys think. Well continue to make sure we can line up with NASCAR and say whats the next chance we can get some of these cars through inspection? As of 5 oclock yesterday afternoon, I dont think any car had passed inspection. I dont know if any of them got through today or not. I guess about 30 of them had gone through at that point and everything had been turned back. Were going to work on what weve got to do to clean up our inspection process.

WILL TEAMS TEST A LOT AT NON-CUP TRACKS IN THE COMING WEEKS? I think any time youve got something new youre going to try to gain as much information as you can about it in the time you have. Id say theres going to be tons of testing at the Kentuckys and Lakelands and Nashvilles and all the places we dont run the Cup cars. The people that learn the idiosyncrasies of this car fastest are going to have an advantage soon, so Im sure everyone is going to continue to test really hard on it.

WHAT ARE YOUR CONCERNS ABOUT FIXING THE AVENGER? We probably wont know about fixing the cars. The biggest issue right now is something thats not going to be in your possession the wing. If you knock a wing off how soon can you get a wing? Are all the decklids on the cars going to be the same or is NASCAR just going to hand you a decklid with a wing on it and you replace that? That might be the easiest. As far as the car count, its expensive. Its going to be very expensive to have two programs going on. I dont think its any secrets. The owners, including myself, have said theres going to be a cost of between one and a half to two million dollars per team to swap over. All of a sudden youre looking at a $5 million deficit and it can really hurt growth. Another thing we have to worry about is through the inspection process I think NASCAR is going to confiscate one or two of these things per week. If youve got two cars ready to go to Martinsville and you run good at Bristol or somewhere, NASCAR is going to take your car for a couple of days to look at it. We are concerned about getting a number of them built in time. I dont know that theres a shortage of pieces. Dodge has done a good job of getting us the pieces we need and NASCAR has got all the rules out. The biggest thing is the time. If you can put on 15 or 20 more people and can afford to do that, you can get it done. When youre crashing cars at Daytona and California and youre trying to run well and things like that With us we crashed two cars at Daytona and one at California and youve got to try to fix those things. Were also going through a change over on the nose of the car. Without going out and putting on another 20 or 25 people you dont have time to get the things built. I think the teams that can afford to have a completely separate COT program and are doing that separately are the ones that have the advantage.

DID YOU USE THE WIND TUNNEL A LOT DEVELOPING THE AVENGER? The wind tunnel is important. Were finding out the wind tunnel is probably not as accurate a tool as the technology has grown in the sport. When we had nothing to measure aero, the wind tunnel was a very good tool, but now as youre seeing these cars change downforce and balance through pitch and the wheels turning and with the wing on them, a lot of what we do now is called straight line testing. You actually run the car down a long straightaway and take measurements with load sensors and air pressure and things like that to help you understand the car a little bit better and to see if the computational fluid dynamics modeling part of the computer, I think at some point down the road, is going to play a bigger role in car development than the wind tunnel. Were finding the wind tunnel is a good tool, but you almost want to compare it with a tape measure versus a dial indicator in some instances, but were finding out sometimes the wind tunnel doesnt give us accurate information of what we see on the racetrack.

ARE YOU CONCERNED WITH TEAMS GETTING NAILED PRETTY HARD WHILE THEYRE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THESE CARS? I think theyre going to confiscate some cars period, not for infractions, just to study them. I think theyre going to take them back to the tech center and measure them and things like that post race. As far as losing cars in inspection and crew chiefs and fines and things like that, Im very concerned about it. Hopefully with the car of tomorrow they can clear up a lot of gray areas in the rule book and simply make them black and white. NASCAR for so long has almost rewarded people for playing in that gray area and almost called them a genius when they invented a shock deal or something like that and get away from it. They almost encouraged playing in the gray area, and now all of a sudden in a gray area we saw the biggest fines and biggest penalties in NASCAR history. I think out of 230 penalties, Kenny Francis fine for some tape ties the third biggest fine in NASCAR history. Im very concerned about it. As I said in Daytona Im very concerned, but unfortunately in this sport you have to look for an advantage in those gray areas but now you dont know how far to go.

HOW DOES IT AFFECT THE TEAM WHEN A KEY PLAYER IS MISSING? It goes back to how long the teams been together and what kind of depth it has. The biggest thing that I see is the confidence. Its not the technical part of getting the car right. Its the confidence that the team has when key members are missing and the communication. It takes a little bit of time to learn because people communicate a little differently to one another. Everybodys thought processes are a little different. When you build a team all youre really doing is getting everybody aligned with their through process. When you disrupt that or with a new team when the thought process isnt as perfectly aligned as a veteran team, when it disrupts that it takes more time to get settled down. Again, I think clearly thats what happened to the 19 this week. We just didnt communicate and get the car driving like Elliott wanted it to in time. If we had another couple of hours could we have done it? Maybe, but we couldnt do it in the time we were allotted because we just werent communicating good enough.

ARE YOU USING ROBOTS YET? We havent started it yet because the machinery hasnt been delivered. It has been ordered. All the parts and pictures are being laid out. We hope to have that thing full swing and producing suspension parts and components in the June timeframe. Were hoping that frees up about three people to do other things. Youre still going to have to have people to set up and move things around so its not going to free up a bunch of people, but were hoping itll free up at least three people most of the day. Were starting with one cell and we could move to as many as three or four if the first one is successful.

FINAL COMMENTS Were looking forward to getting to Las Vegas and Atlanta and having our Dodge Dealers cars run good. We didnt have a productive week at California and weve got to focus on some good, solid finishes to get those cars built up and solidly in the top 35 so we can concentrate on racing.

Source: [url=http://www.backstretchmotorsports.com/bm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9944&Ite mid=29]Backstretch Motorsports[/url]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!