Home  

Go Back   Car Forums > DODGE
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2007, 12:35 AM

marcelinewhite is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Dodge Ram Odometer problems

A weird thing happened yesterday. I have a '99 Dodge Ram 1500 and the mileage is 41,372.
1. After a couple of days of none use I cranked up my truck and pulled out of the driveway an headed down the street when I noticed two lights burning on my odometer panel. A red light stated "brake" and the other an amber light which read "ABS." I checked the emergency brakes (which I never use) and saw they weren't set. I drove several more blocks down the street to see if the light would go out but no luck, although the brakes worked fine. I went back home and checked the master cylinder. It was full. I tried setting and releasing the emergency brake several times to see if something might have stuck in a particular position, but no luck. The light was still burning. If an odometer light comes on it bothers me because it's burning for a reason. One thing I thought about were the brake shoes and pads. I know they need replacing now, but I wasn't sure if there was an emergency light to tell me so. What's your opinion on this?
2. Why is the amber "ABS" light burning? What does this signify?
3. While all of the above is happening the odometer doesn't work, although the "RPM" side does. While I was driving checking the brakes I also noticed the odometer needle wouldn't move until I reached about 30mph, and then the needle was bounced to 30mph. As I increased speed to about 40mph it would hesitate a little and the needle would bounce to 45mph. When I decreased speed the needle would slowly drop until it reached 30mph then the needle would drop to 0mph all of a sudden.
The truck runs fine and the electrical seems fine. The other gauges on the odometer panel (oil, fuel, water, etc.) seem to be working okay. These two lights continue to stay on (either in the "ON" or "CRANKING" position until the engine is turned off.)
This reminds me of the TV commercial where a doctor is talking to a car and asking if it's had symptoms of coughing, sputtering, etc.
Okay Doc! What's wrong with my sick truck?
04 - 2500 305/555 auto, swb, alantic blue/slate, Nerf Bars, Hellwig Sway bar, Tinted windows, Dual under rail tool boxes, Headache rack, Sprayed on Bedliner, Howards cool down timer installed in-Dash, 2- 8" Memphis subs custom boxes and still using fold out floors, 500 watt jl audio Amp, [URL=http://www.replacementdoparts.com/dodgetailgate.html ]Dodge Tailgates[/URL], 2- MB Quart 6.5 front doors, Tweets in dash, 2- 5 1/4 Boston Acoustics rear door speakers, Jl Audio 300/4 amp. Sirius Satellite. Clarion touch screen HU.
!!!!!!Quadzillaized !!!!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!