View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 02:00 PM
news

Arrow Mexico City: Chevy NASCAR Busch Race Preview

Benson Charges to Sixth Place Finish at California

Mexico City: Chevy NASCAR Busch Race Preview

NASCAR Busch Series - Telcel-Motorola Mexico 200, March 4

Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez (Mexico City)

Adrian Fernandez makes his return to the Busch Series for Chevy at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez road course in his native Mexico City; his ninth Busch race overall and third in Mexico City. Last year Fernandez qualified fourth but his car suffered damage in another driver???‚¬?„?s accident. In 2005, Fernandez turned in the fastest practice times, led four laps and finished 10th. This weekend he will pilot the No. 5 Lowe???‚¬?„?s Monte Carlo SS for Hendrick Motorsports for his only planned Busch Series race in 2007.

Denny Hamlin will drive the same car he drove to victory lane at the Telcel Motorola Mexico 200 last year, but with a new front clip and an updated Monte Carlo SS body for 2007. ???‚¬?“Mexico City will always be a special race for me,???‚¬ he said. ???‚¬?“Last year, I knew we had a good shot of winning it before we came down. We tested at VIR and the car was perfect. When we unloaded at Mexico, the car handled perfectly. I don???‚¬?„?t think we made an adjustment all day. I always expected to win my first race on a short track, but to win a road course race with a great driver like Boris Said in your mirror is something I will never forget.

???‚¬?“I really enjoy traveling to Mexico City. The track is great. It challenges the driver on every corner and with the removal of the chicane you really are going to have to be smooth through the first corner. Restarts are definitely going to be interesting with people drag racing into that turn. The other great thing about the venue is the fans. They are extremely passionate about racing.???‚¬

It was also the first win in Busch for Hamlin???‚¬?„?s crew chief Dave Rogers. ???‚¬?“Although it was my first win as a crew chief, it was a lot more than that. We implemented a whole new way of how we did things in the shop (coming to Busch for the first time). Although the guys never complained, they logged a lot of hours getting things ready for the season. Winning at Mexico City showed them that all the hard work they put in the off season paid off. With the 18 car also finishing in the top five it set an energy level at the shop that carried us through the season. When I get there (Mexico City), I am sure it will be sentimental for about five minutes but then it is time to try to win another trophy.???‚¬

PaddockTalk Perspective

Source: [url=http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid= 49331]PaddockTalk[/url]