The first generation of its history was available as 4-door wagon, and the smaller model( Kei car ) called Terios Kid, which was only released in Japan.
In 2000, Daihatsu gave the Terios a mild facelift both in the exterior and interior of the vehicle. A new chrome grille replaced the plastic black grille. The high-grade model had an addition of electric front windows, central locking, rear seat head restraints, alloy wheels, roof rails and a roof-mounted rear spoiler. Mechanically, the 1.3 litre SOHC four cylinder engine fitted to the previous model had been replaced by the new 1.3 litre DOHC four cylinder engine. Power was also increased by 3kW (4hp). A sport version of K3-VET engine were produced on Japan in several period.
In Australia, a sports limited edition series was introduced in 2001 with only 200 units being available. The vehicle had body colour matching bumpers, different from the two-tone bumper colour on the standard model. Rear spoiler and sunroof became standard. The interior was updated with metallic paint finish on the center console and instrument
- Terios ( replace by Second Generation )
- J100G 1997-1999 "HC-EJ" SOHC 1295 cc engine 89PS (88hp/65kW) 4WD.
- J102G 2000-2004 4WD
- engine "K3-VE" DOHC 1297 cc engine 92PS (91hp/68kW).
- engine "K3-VET" DOHC 1297 cc Turbo engine 140PS (138hp/103kW).
- J122G 2000-2004 2WD type ( K3-VE / K3-VET )
- Terios Kid ( Still available in JDM as kei car)
- J111G ( EF-DEM ) 1998-2005 Light pressure turbo 659 cc 4WD 60PS (59hp/44kW)
- J111G ( EF-DET ) 1998- Inter cooler turbo 659 cc 4WD 64PS (63hp/47kW)
- J131G ( EF-DEM ) 1998-2005 Light pressure turbo 659 cc 2WD 60PS (59hp/44kW)
- J131G ( EF-DET ) 1998- Inter cooler turbo 659 cc 2WD 64PS (63hp/47kW)
- Terios Lucia (Limited Edition)
- J111G / J131G 2002 only. variation of Terios Kid.( without spare tire )