The Avella was available with two engines:
- B3 EGi: 1.3L (1323cc) fuel injected 8-valve I4 making 73hp (DIN) (54kW) at 5000rpm and 99ft.lbf (135Nm) of torque at 3000rpm
- B5 EGi: 1.5L (1498cc) fuel injected 8-valve I4 making 88.4hp (DIN) (65kW) at 5000rpm and 99ft.lbf (135Nm) of torque at 4000rpm
All Avellas came standard with a five-speed manual transmission, although all models could be optioned with a four-speed automatic. In the United States, the four-speed automatic was not available; the automatic had only three gears.
The Avella was suspended by MacPherson struts in the front and a torsion bar axle in the rear.
Seven trims were available:
- GXi: 3-door, B3 EGi
- Secrety STD: 5-door, B3 EGi
- Secrety DLX: 5-door, B3 EGi
- Secrety: 5-door, B5 EGi
- Delta Si: 4-door, B3 EGi
- Delta Si STD: 4-door, B5 EGi
- Delta Si DLX: 4-door, B5 EGi
In Korean market, several more trims were available: