The 1.6 litre gasoline engine is unavailable in New Zealand, and some countries in South-East Asia and South America
- Hyundai Getz performance:
- 1.1L SOHC engine 65hp (48kW) 0–100 km/h: 15.4 sec., top speed 159km/h (99mph) MT
- 1.4L DOHC engine 97hp (72kW) 0–100 km/h: 10.6 sec., top speed 176km/h (109mph) MT
- 1.6L DOHC engine 106hp (79kW) 0–100 km/h: 9.6 sec., top speed 184km/h (114mph) MT
A facelift for the 2006 model saw the Getz receiving a 4 cylinder 1.5 litre diesel option, upgraded dash and interior fascia and trim, new front and rear styling, driver and front passenger air bags. In the UK air conditioning and side airbags were fitted to all models as standard.
Trim levels in the were UK GSi, CDX and Sport. However, in Australia and New Zealand XD and XE were the main trim levels.
In Australia, the 2002-04 Hyundai Getz was assessed in the Used Car Safety Ratings 2006 as providing "significantly worse than average" protection for its occupants in the event of a crash..
Conversely, the car was awarded a respectable 4 stars (out of five) in its 2004 EuroNCAP crash tests. It turned in what EuroNCAP described as a "reasonably balanced performance" and "generally good" in-car protection for children. It was noted, however, that the design of the car did little to protect pedestrians.
Reflecting market priorities and price point control, some safety equipment is either unavailable or available only as extra-cost options on some models in some markets. The South African market version, for example, is not available with side airbags at any price and makes do without a rear foglight and a third three-point seatbelt on the rear seat. In the Philippines and south America, the Getz is not fitted with airbags or ABS brakes as standard.
- Winner of Australia's Best Small Car in 2003 and 2005.
- Winner of the Scottish Small Car of the Year award in 2003.
- Winner of the UK What Car? Magazine Budget Car of the Year in 2003.
- Budget car champion on the UK motoring programme, 5th Gear in 2003.
- Denmark's Best Seller Of 2003 award.
- The Getz 1.5 CRDi was Portuguese 'Car of the Year' for 2004.